Pages

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Cookies

We spent the weekend putting our oven to good use by making Christmas cookies. Benjamin started on Saturday morning with no-bake cookies; then we made some sugar cookie dough; then we made peanut butter blossoms with Hershey Kisses my mother had sent from the States; then we made chocolate chip M&M cookies (again, the M&Ms were from the States); and finally I made a batch of toffee bars. Today we rolled out the sugar cookie dough and baked some cutout cookies.

I made some buttercream frosting that--get this--used both butter and cream. (In my experience, most "buttercream" recipes contain neither.) Benjamin was in heaven. I frosted the cookies and Seth and Benjamin decorated them. Seth did a good job for the first 7 seconds, but it didn't take long for him to disregard our instructions and start dumping on the sprinkles.

Tomorrow we are hoping to spread some Christmas cheer by handing out cookies to our bosses and their bosses. On Wednesday evening we will have a work Christmas party. Then on Friday we plan to have a nice family meal (just the three of us), read the Christmas story, and open presents. I have two classes on Christmas day, but Benjamin got lucky this semester and doesn't have classes at all on Fridays, so he has the day off. But I will be home by 4:00, so we'll have plenty of time to celebrate.